Tuesday, July 21, 2015

WEEK ELEVEN - FIRST I WAS SAD AND THEN I WAS SICK

Dear Friends and Family,

Okay, so as the title suggests, this week was a struggle, but I will get to that later. Monday we went to the Memphis Zoo and it was super, super, hecka fun. It was Sister M's birthday so we went with the Bartlett sisters and a ward member, S. and we had cupcakes and presents, and I made chicken salad, and we all just had a grand old time. It was probably the first time since I've been on my mission that I got lost in the moment a little bit, let myself go, and completely enjoyed myself without thinking about home or being far away or anything like that. That evening we ate with the J’s, who are the cutest family ever. We were able to commit each of the kids to handing out a pass along card to someone that they knew, and they were all so excited. 

As good as Monday was, Tuesday was bad. I found something out relating to my personal life that really upset me, and I found myself too sad to do the work. We came back to the apartment and I cried in my bed for an hour straight. I was upset about the thing I had found out, but I was even more upset with myself for allowing it to keep me so down. I never wanted to be the missionary that let some dumb thing at home distract them from the people around them who desperately need the gospel, but on Tuesday that's exactly who I was. We didn't have a dinner appointment that night so Sister M. took me to McDonalds knowing that if one thing could cheer me up, it would be McDonalds fries. McDonalds worked like a charm, but not because of the fries (well, not COMPLETELY because of the fries). While we were there I got onto the wifi to check my email and found one from my Mom. 

Jennifer K. Thomas is the single greatest blessing that I have been afforded in this life. I had an email from her telling me that for some reason I had been on her mind all day, and that she just wanted to remind me that she loved me, and how proud she was of me. I broke down right there in the McDonalds, and I'm sure I was embarrassing my companion, but I didn't care. I am so thankful for a mother who listens to the Spirit. I read the email at least six times, and after French fries and an email from Hennifer I felt exponentially better. 

Wednesday I asked the Elders in our district for a blessing, and it really helped me as I continued to deal with some issues. The blessing was exactly the comfort I needed to know that I can handle the things placed before me because I am here to do the Lord's work, and He will always give me the strength to do it. That day we also had an apartment check and I had a call to repentance about my lack of a 72 hr. kit. Next P-Day project, yay! 

That night the STL's came and stayed with us because we had zone conference the next morning. I know they were guided by the Spirit to be with us, because having them there to talk to was just added comfort and strength for me.

Thursday's Zone conference was a really enjoyable experience. We were introduced the Area Book Planner app that we will be using from now on, and they also taught us how to upload all the info from our paper copies onto the app. I, as a somewhat technologically challenged individual, will really miss paper teaching records, but I am praying for the desire and ability to utilize this new tool to the fullest extent possible. (I just need to figure out how to use the dang thing :) 

I was so thankful for the instruction we received from the APs and the Wakolo's, my mission president and his wife. Much of it was a call to repentance for me. I have a long way to go when it comes to diligence and consistency in many areas as a missionary. To have leaders who consistently push us to be better missionaries is a blessing to me, because it helps me know they love me and the people of this area. 

That night we saw J. and had a big come to Jesus with him. We explained that we cannot continue to meet with him if we do not see that he really is making an effort to read the Book of Mormon, and gain a testimony. He is just so stuck on the anti-Mormon stuff that he has been exposed to, and he is having a hard time giving the Book of Mormon the chance it deserves. Sometimes I wish I could just shake him and tell him how much better life could be if he would just accept the gospel. Obviously that would be inappropriate, though. During the lesson he told me that I yelled at him, and that made him not want to read the Book of Mormon, so I left the lesson really upset and discouraged about my own abilities as a teacher.

Thankfully, though, Ja. still agreed to read something from the Book of Mormon that we gave him, so we went home and prayed fervently for what God would have us tell Ja. to read. We received the answer to have him read Mosiah, Alma, and Heleman, and to have him study them alongside Titus and Ephesians from the New Testament. We told Ja. this and he promised us he would pray about it and tell us Monday if he would read it. I pray that he will be able to accept the reading and allow the Holy Ghost to work in his heart.

We also had a lesson with Jb. this week, and we laid out all his plans for baptism. He picked speakers, someone to confirm him, the two witnesses, etc. He is so excited and ready for baptism and we are so excited and happy for him. He is totally firm in his decision. We told him that these next couple of weeks would probably be a little difficult because Satan works really hard on people who are working so hard to follow God, and Jb. said "Well too bad! I've decided to do this because God told me that he wants me to, that this is the right thing to do, and NOTHING is going to stop me now!" I am in awe of his faith! He is already beginning to see the blessings of his righteousness though. This weekend he quit his awful job that caused him to work crazy hours and sometimes miss church, and found a job working as a mechanic, which is what he loves! This new job will allow him to work far less, and he will always have weekends off. The Lord really does work miracles every single day, and I am so blessed to be witnessing so many of them on a daily basis.

Saturday we didn't have a single appointment, and we spent almost the entire day finding. I was kind of upset about it initially, but the day went by far quicker than I expected, and it was a good day because we spent almost all of it walking around in 100+ degree weather, but we had a legitimately good time, and I was reminded once again that I can do this. I was called here, and I am equipped to handle it. 

Unfortunately Sunday I woke up sick and threw up all morning. Because I was so sick, we had to miss church and basically spent the whole day inside. I am pretty upset that I caused us to miss so much proselyting time, but it was better than someone opening their door and me throwing up all over their front porch! The great news is though that apparently both Jb. and the T's were at church!

I realize that every week on my mission is not going to be easy. That sometimes I will have really hard ones, but even with all the difficult things that happened this week, I can look back and see multiple miracles. Sometimes it is when things get the most difficult that you can see the hand of God the clearest. I also have a powerful testimony of ministering Angels. I would not have made it through this week without them. I am so thankful for this gospel, I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to share my testimony every day, for my call as a missionary, and for the people in Lakeland, Tennessee that have been prepared for me. I am thankful for calls to repentance, and companions who love you even when you don't always get along. This week has been a trial, but it is also the week that I have seen my testimony grow more than at any other time of my mission so far. I am so thankful for this renewed faith in God's plans.

Love,

Sister Hannah Kathryn Thomas

The first pic is when I was really tired one night and I only took my scarf halfway off and then had to stop because I was too tired to finish taking it off.
 This one is me with the hugging pole, a weird tradition among us and the Bartlett sisters.
 This one is me with my new cat best friend that we met while street contacting.
 This last one is a selfie from when I was sick.




No comments: